The Ayres Hotel in Laguna Woods has been approved as an isolation facility for the South Orange County homeless population. We have included the press release from the county as well as District Supervisor Lisa Bartlett’s response addressing the situation.
The following press release was sent by The County of Orange, an outside organization. Lake Forest Shop & Dine does not edit press releases and we publish them to bring you direct information.
The following update was sent by District Supervisor Lisa Bartlett, an outside organization. Lake Forest Shop & Dine does not edit press releases and we publish them to bring you direct information.
|April 3, 2020 Volume 7 Issue 17 BARTLETT BULLETIN: COUNTY C-19 UPDATE |
Temporary Isolation Facility in Laguna Woods
Many of you have written and called to share your concerns with me regarding the use of Ayres Hotel in Laguna Woods to house homeless individuals who test positive, or are presumed positive, for Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Please know that I fully understand and share the very same concerns you have, given Laguna Woods’ unique community and most vulnerable population. Although I would never have chosen Laguna Woods as the site for this particular facility, I also do not have the authority to prevent its use.
The Ayres Hotel in Laguna Woods.
My main priority has always been and will continue to be to keep all our residents in Orange County safe and healthy. However, there has been a lot of misinformation regarding this issue, which I think is very important to address. Please allow me to share the following facts:
1. In response to the Governor’s Shelter-in-Place Executive Order, the County, through the Emergency Operations Center (EOC), is partnering with cities and motel owners throughout Orange County to secure sheltering in an appropriate recovery setting for homeless individuals who have tested positive, or are presumed positive, for COVID-19. This was not a decision of the Orange County Board of Supervisors, but rather the direction of the EOC.
2. Following an exhaustive search of several city facilities and motels throughout South County, Ayres Hotel was the only facility that met the specific isolation requirements and was willing to enter into an agreement with the County.
3. South County is home to individuals who are homeless and who may be at significant risk of contracting COVID-19. Left unattended and free to roam the community during this pandemic only increases the risk of more widespread community transmission.
4. Isolating and quarantining these individuals will not only enable them to receive the care they need, but also go a long way toward minimizing community transmission.
5. The intent is for only homeless individuals located in South County to have access to this facility.
6. The County’s contract service provider will provide the following at each site: Initial medical assessment and ongoing medical case management Transportation Support Services (including on-site meals)24/7 on-site staffing and security (4 security guards per shift).Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for staff and client distribution Coordination of discharge transitions
7. All individuals entering the facility will receive an initial medical assessment and will be required to follow self-quarantine protocols, including staying inside their room. No loitering or leaving the facility will be permitted.
8. Those who don’t follow such protocols will be required to leave the facility and will be provided transportation to an alternative placement option.
9. No visitors will be allowed onsite to ensure clients are following self-quarantine/isolation protocols.
10. Individuals will only be permitted to leave the premises via van transport if the need for re-location to an alternative shelter site or hospitalization occurs.
Needless to say, this is a very trying time for all of us. I hope this information helps to alleviate some of the fear and anxiety you may be feeling at this time.
Please be assured that I will continue to represent and advocate for the people of Laguna Woods and the 5th District to ensure every precaution is being taken to provide the highest level of protection through the EOC and the site’s contracted services provider.
For more information, please click here.